I had a great week, International Women’s Day, meeting new people (Kim @bodydesign, http://bodydesign.ca/), spending time with friends (Katie & Mike) and of course, meal planning. This weekend I curled up on the couch, with my laptop, a steeped tea and began to research what my family would eat this week. I have been blessed with a family that is open and accepting of their mothers/wife’s crazy concoctions. I’ve come up with a new mason jar salad, that I’m testing on them this week, Thai Coconut Chicken Salad.
So, what are we going to try for dinner this week? Thai Coconut Chicken, Grilled Lemon Sole with Dill and Garlic, Bliss Balls (OMG, these are so good, I’ll post about them tomorrow, I forgot to take a photo) and an Easy Breakfast Casserole.
I’m a huge fan of the mini-crustless quiche for on the go breakfasts, but this week I went for something a little bit different. An entire casserole. I added the extra ingredients that I had on hand from my mason jar salads and whatever else I had in the fridge.
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1” lengths
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil, to bake mushrooms and asparagus
- 1 tsp no-salt seasoning, your choice
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced ham, pre-cooked
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups egg whites
- 12 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash mushrooms if needed and cut into large pieces. Rinse asparagus, remove tough ends then slice into 1” pieces. Toss mushrooms, asparagus, olive oil and seasoning. Pour onto lined baking dish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing once midway through cooking time. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F.
- Spray 10 X 14 glass casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray (any dish that's close to this size will work.) and set aside. Spread mushrooms, asparagus, ham and spinach in bottom of casserole dish. Crumble goat cheese over the top of the vegetable ham mixture.
- Beat the eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper until yolks and whites are well-combined and pour over vegetable ham mixture. Use a fork to gently stir the mixture so veggies and cheese are well-distributed in the eggs. Top with halved grape tomatoes, cut side down and bake 35-40 minutes, or until casserole is firmly set and top is slightly browned. Serve hot. Or allow to cool, slice into 8 square pieces and store in the fridge for breakfast all week. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes per piece.
- You could make this with no meat, as the original recipe calls for, or substitute with Chicken, bacon or even lean ground beef.
How have I been doing? Well, pretty fantastic actually. I have been keeping to the Metabolic plan, prescribed by my doctor and enjoying my exercise plan. Don’t ask me at 5:30 when I get up, how I feel about heading to the basement to meet up with Coach Kozak and Claudia from http://hasfit.com/ , but 5 minutes into the work out, I’m doing great!
Favourite work out so far is the 17 Min Strength Training Workout for Beginners, but I’m going to try the 25 Min Low Impact Cardio Workout for Beginners. Switching up strength training/cardio and of course hot yoga at night.
This is a great couple. They keep you motivated while taking the time to explain exactly what (and how) to perform each exercise. So glad I found them on YouTube.
I will post about the Bliss Balls tomorrow. Take care.
“Plan for tomorrow, because tomorrow you won’t have time”