Not just mason jar salads.
I do love the convenience and the of course, the deliciousness of the mason jar salads. But my journey to eating better doesn’t stop there. A friend of mine at work, an inspiration to physical fitness, asked me what I had had for breakfast one day. Well, on that particular day, I had forgotten my oatmeal on the counter at home, so other than a tea, no breakfast. She looked at me in complete shock. What? No breakfast? Plus, the one you were going to eat had no protein. You can’t do that. She then cut our meeting short and suggested (strongly) that I go get something to eat. So I did. But in doing so, I realized the options at our cafeteria held little to no interest, and next to no healthy options.
For the next week (last week), I brought to work the following: 1 hard boiled egg (with a dash of salt/pepper), 2 slices of ham and a baggy of fruit. This worked for me, since I love hard boiled eggs. But I know me, I will get bored and eventually give in and visit a drive thru for a quick breakfast sandwich. Which, by the way, are so darn good. Grrrrr
So this week, using WW recipe builder, I created a custom breakfast cup that is so good. I’ve already had one and may I say, with all modesty put aside, I rock! These are great and versatile, you could put what ever you like in them. Plus, they keep for a week in the fridge, which means I now have breakfast until Friday and so does anyone else in the family!
Here’s my recipe for: Ham and Cheese Breakfast To-go (2 WW Smart Points, per muffin)
- 2 sprays vegetable/olive Oil cooking spray
- 8 slices Coppola Tradizione Italiana Stone Baked Rosemary Ham, diced (Costo)
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper(s), diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked onion(s), either finely diced red or sliced green onions.
- 1/4 cup fresh mushroom(s)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, because I had some, you can add something else if you prefer
- 1/3 cup old cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup soft-type goat cheese
- 2 cups egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, you could add hot sauce too!
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray baking tray with non-stick spray.
- Dice ham, red pepper, jalapenos and onions. In the bottom of the baking cups layer the ham, peppers, jalapenos, onions, mushrooms, rosemary and cheeses, dividing each equally among the 12 cups
- Pour eggs into a large measuring cup (easier to pour into the cups afterwards), add spices and flour, whip until they are well combined. Pour egg mixture over the other ingredients until the muffin cups are nearly full, but not quite reaching the top. Resist the urge to stir!
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and starting to brown slightly. I took mine out at 25 minutes, next time I will try to leave a few minutes more. They were fully cooked but I like them browned a bit more.
- Egg muffins will keep well in the refrigerator for at least a week.
- Serving: 1 muffin
- WEIGHT WATCHERS SMARTPOINTS: 2 per serving
- Note: This is adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen. http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/01/recipe-for-egg-muffins-with-ham-cheese.html
“Plan for tomorrow, because tomorrow you won’t have time”